Monday 24 March 2014

Horripilation


After so much time in Spain and away from the UK, I am beginning to miss rain…

An alternative title to this poem would be 'goose-bumps' or might even be 'orgasm'!


horripilation


a wonderful
if infrequent
horripilant event
a mild evening
a light rain falling
shooting stars
visible momentarily
passing through
the amber glow
of street lighting
raindrops tickle
my exposed flesh
a cool breeze
tousling my hair
though not worrying
how I appear
a sweet, earthy scent
exudes from nature’s pores
penetrates
my nostrils
and stimulates
my olfactory sense
a total
sensual
experience
my id and ego
are in accord
just for once
my physiology
responds
messages
are dispatched
rapidly
my breathing deepens
contraction
of cutaneous muscles
erection
of hairs on my skin
temporary pimples
spread like a rash
goose-flesh
and in turn
this arouses
a further reaction
another deep inhalation
and a shiver
takes root in my chest
sending its tendrils
to my neck
and chills
down my spine
all the way to my coccyx
the ignition
to a body-wide
explosion
of pleasurable
sensation


No comments:

Post a Comment