Friday 10 April 2015

Tourist Information Cock-Up

A few weeks ago, some readers may recall, I posted about my eternal search for the Benalmadense cultural guide for the first three months of the year, in an article entitled "Where's the Culture in Benalmádena". I did eventually obtain one. Well, despite posting a link to the town hall's website it appears no lessons have been learned.

Today is the tenth day of the three month period which should be covered by the latest guide. But you are not going to believe it: they have not yet even been printed. Nor does anybody know when they will be printed, let alone distributed. The Oficina de la cultura were not exactly helpful: officious and unfriendly. They have one - yes ONE - sheet with this week’s events printed upon it. Yet again, this has not been distributed to the tourist information points. Once again, copies are not available to tourists nor locals. Has no-one heard of photocopiers? It is an absolute shambles and the Consejería de turismo (I could not find an email or web-page specifically relating to the tourism department - if you do, let me know!) should be ashamed of his/her department’s failure to get their act together.

[Image description: close-up exterior shot of the referenced tourist information office, bearing a sign which reads, "PUNTO DE INFORMACION TURISTICA"(sic)]

To make matters worse, the little tourist information office (constructed in the style of the Castillo Bil-Bil, and situated on the eponymous beach), which I frequent, has had its opening-hours cut. In the period running into high season, surely someone needs their bumps feeling! Yes indeed, if I wish to walk a further three kilometres, I can reach another office with longer hours. Well, thank you so much for being unhelpful! Tourists, I am certain, love to wander in a vain search for information!

Benalmádena is my second home, I winter here for my health and I have been visiting for thirteen years. If tourists cannot readily obtain information, they will form a poor impression of a place I have always found to be friendly and helpful. I worry that failures like this can so easily and so quickly irredeemably effect the municipality’s reputation, especially when there are so many other choices available to the modern traveller.

One wonders whether the politico in charge is some kind of fifth columnist determined to undermine the municipio's good name or simply just not up to the job?

[Image description: wide shot of tourist information office]

*

No comments:

Post a Comment