Monday 2 November 2015

Disability Activism Relinquished


With the exception of my long-standing friend Michelle (who made a genuine Barnabas attempt to keep me at it) and a couple of folks over at Manchester DPAC (with a well-meaning exhortation resulting in my feeling guilt-ridden and even more demoralised with the whole activism-thing!), there was no resounding endorsement of my continuing as a ‎disability-rights activist despite over a hundred views (113) of my blog-post, A Disillusioned Activist: Falling Down the Rabbit-Hole.

Therefore I have exited all the disability groups to which I was aligned, unfollowed news-feeds and switched off most activist feeds.

Moving forward I am going to attempt to carry on being a bedtivist by continuing my support for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (shortened to M.E. and known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or C.F.S. in the USA) and other invisible-illness causes.

However, if I still feel as if I am being dragged down, I shall stop such too. My all-round health (including physical, psychological, emotional & spiritual) has to come first, however much I should like to help.

I hope folk will understand and accept my decision. Bless us all! %)

*

Disabled People Against Cuts (DPAC), including the Manchester branch, do need support; so, if you are able, please offer to volunteer or donate.

[Image description: Manchester DPAC's logo ©]


3 comments:

  1. Good Luck Colin! Glad you are prioritizing self care, But I for one will miss your activism. All the best! -Gregg Beratan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck Colin! Glad you are prioritizing self care, But I for one will miss your activism. All the best! -Gregg Beratan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Gregg, sweetie you. Still following folk on twitter - don't want to be left completely in the dark! %D

    ReplyDelete